Bengal cat. Everything you did not know about this curious Breed of Cats.
Have you ever imagined living in your home with a little leopard? Well, people who share their home with a beautiful Bengal cat can tell you about the closest thing to having that experience.
The Bengal cats and Bengal cats are cats that belong to a curious exotic breed of cats and their main feature is its coat like that of a leopard. However, despite their wild feline appearance , they are very affectionate domestic cats with a particular personality that you will be surprised to meet. Do you want to know everything about this exotic feline? Well, keep reading and find out about its origin, its physical personality characteristics and what care you should give it if you want to adopt one at home.
Origin of the Bengal cat
The origin of the Bengal cat dates back to 1960 in the United States of America. There, a scientist named Jean Mill began to crossbreed domestic cats with a female Asian Bengal cat , a wild cat.
So it is a Hybrid feline , that is, a cat that is the result of the cross between a wild cat and a domestic cat . Which defines it as a cat with all the exotic and wild appearance, but with a tender and affectionate personality with its owners. So much so that it is also known as the Bengal cat or the leopard cat.
The first litters produced hybrid cats, but from the 4th generation they began to give fertile offspring, with a less wild and more docile character.
Although these crosses continued to be carried out for the breeding of the breed, it was only recognized as official until 1991, by the international cat association.
Physical characteristics of the Bengal Cat
As we mentioned at the beginning, the main characteristic of the Bengal cat and to which it owes all its fame is its particular and exotic coat . It has a brindle coat similar to that of a small leopard and its colors can vary between yellow, orange, gold, ivory and cream. They are stocky and muscular cats that can weigh between 8 and 9 kilos during adulthood in the case of males. Females that are smaller can weigh 3 to 4 kilos.
They have a robust body build, they are elegant. Its coat is short and its tail is medium in size, proportional to the size of its body.
The shape of its head is a bit broad and round with medium-sized and triangular ears . Their eyes have a fixed, striking and stalking gaze, thanks to their almond shape and their greenish-yellow color.
Another important characteristic of a Bengal cat is the footpads of its paws, the tip of i
ts black tail and an abdomen with mottling or small spots.
Bengal Cat Personality
The Bengal cats despite having a wild ancestor have a tender and gregarious perso
nality . They tend to chase their master and want to get his attention. Their main characteristic is their high energy level, they are always ready to play, jump, hunt, climb the highest piece of furniture in the house and even swim, since they love water and are good swimmers mainly because of the inheritance received. of the Asian Bengal cat.
Bengal cats are usually very sociable after they have adjusted to their new home. They will be willing to establish a good relationship with the other members of the household including other pets. And later on they will become more and more fond. They may even have a close relationship with their master, so much so that they will wait impatiently for him when the time for his arrival approaches.
They are very sociable cats with children , so if you have small children at home, this should not be a concern to adopt a cute Bengal kitten.
They are also quite curious cats , they love to explore every corner and every corner of their home to find something new that catches their attention. In addition, they are very intelligent and learn fast.
Bengal Cat Care
Bengal cats are usually healthy cats and do not require very specific care like other cat br
eeds. It will be enough to provide the normal care that is required to take care of the health and hygiene of your furry. Among which are:
- Brushing: Their coat is short so they do not need to be brushed frequently. Brushing every 2 weeks will suffice.
- Food: Your diet must be appropriate for your stage. You should choose a concentrate that provides all the nutrients required to stay healthy and strong.
- Scraper and gym: They need a scraper to sharpen their fingernails and a gym to exercise. Remember that these products are essential if you have a kitten at home.
- Clean sandbox : You must be aware of keeping your sandbox clean. Cats are clean animals that need to relieve themselves in clean places.
- Games: Remember that games and toys are not just to provide fun. They are also the way to stimulate their minds, their cognitive ability, arouse their curiosity and release stress.
- Up-to-date vaccinations : Vaccinations are essential to take care of your cat’s health. These must be given at the appropriate times in order to prevent illness.
- Visits to the veterinarian: Taking an appropriate control of the health of your cat will always be the best option.